MIUSA will conduct a one-day arrival orientation for a high-school exchange student from Malaysia, who is participating in the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. The student has a disability, and will join a cohort of 10 other YES students with disabilities already living and studying in host communities across the United States.
The MIUSA orientation will include:
- Introduction to U.S. disability rights and culture
- Site visit to non-profit serving community members with visual disabilities
- Introduction to assistive technology and accommodations used in educational settings
- Touch and audio tour of a cultural site
- Goal setting for the semester ahead
The following day the student will depart for their host community where they will spend the spring semester.
New York, NY