International High School Students with Disabilities Study in the U.S.
Fostering successful international exchange experiences for high school students with disabilities.
MIUSA prepares high school students with disabilities from Eurasia and predominantly Muslim countries to study abroad at high schools throughout the United States. Students learn how to address challenges related to accessibility and inclusion during their school year and also reflect on their disability-related experiences in the U.S.
Workshops for 2012-13 students include:
MIUSA Preparatory Workshop for A-SMYLE/FLEX/YES Students with Disabilities, August 8 - 13, 2012
MIUSA Preparatory Workshop for YES Semester Students with Disabilities, January 25 - 26, 2013
MIUSA provides free ongoing support services to Placement Organizations (POs) and host community organizations that host A-SMYLE, FLEX and YES students with disabilities to enhance the exchange experience. For example, upon request, MIUSA can:
- Contribute to brainstorming and problem-solving discussions
- Offer ideas and practical suggestions
- Provide referrals and facilitate linkages with appropriate local or national resources
- Provide informational materials relevant to the situation
- Facilitate communication between other organizations or individuals who have had similar or related experiences
- Provide information about enrichment activities of potential interest to students with disabilities such as wheelchair sports or disability-related events
- Provide other assistance as appropriate and requested
Training opportunities are offered to increase the capacity of POs to include exchange students with disabilities in their programs. Opportunities for the 2012-13 school year include:
A message from MIUSA CEO, Susan Sygall
Webinar open to all POs
This webinar introduces MIUSA's role in supporting you and your students with disabilities. POs and LCs hosting 2012-13 academic year students with disabilities were invited to participate in the webinar that took place in September 2012. Did you miss the webinar, or want to share the information covered with your colleagues? We invite you to listen to the webinar audio recording or scroll through the informational PowerPoint slides.
3rd annual Disability Disability Inclusion Forum, December 5th - 8th, 2012 in Eugene, Oregon
MIUSA hosts this 3-day training that brings together PO representatives to help increase placement capacity for students with disabilities and expand understanding of disability issues and rights in the United States.
Read about the 2nd annual Disability Inclusion Forum here.
This project is made possible in partnership with:
- American Serbia and Montenegro Youth Leadership Exchange (A-SMYLE),
- Future Leaders Exchange (FLEX) and
- Youth Exchange and Study (YES) and is sponsored by
- The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State.
Meet alumni with disabilities as they study across the U.S.!
Read posts about A-SMYLE, FLEX, and YES students at the MIUSA Blog.