MIUSA hosted an arrival orientation in July 2017 for a student participating in the Year of Exchange in America for Russians (YEAR) program. She traveled to Eugene, Oregon, before embarking on a year of study at a U.S. university.
The YEAR program provides an opportunity for students to live in the U.S. for a year while learning about American society, educating Americans about Russian history and culture, improving English speaking skills, strengthening knowledge in an academic field, and experiencing immersion in a local community.
During the MIUSA orientation, the student:
- Learned about disability rights history, laws, and culture in the United States.
- Visited the University of Oregon’s Accessible Education Center to learn about support services available to students with disabilities on college campuses.
- Meet with the American English Institute to learn how disability intersects with teaching english as a foreign langauage.
- Experienced a fully accessible public transportation system.
- Volunteered at Food for Lane County.
- Participated in adaptive biking activity, visited an inclusive community fitness center, and learned about other adaptive community-based recreation opportunities.
Eugene, Oregon, USA