MIUSA conducted a one-day arrival orientation in New York, NY, on January 20, 2017, for two high school exchange students with disabilities from Malaysia selected to participate in the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. The students joined eleven academic-year YES students with disabilities already living and studying in host communities across the United States.
The MIUSA orientation included:
- Introduction to the U.S. disability rights movement and laws
- Site visit to the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library
- Meeting with young professionals with disabilities from the International Disability Alliance
- Cultural visit to the Empire State Building
- Goal setting for the semester ahead
The following day, the students departed for their U.S. host communities where they will live and study for the spring semester.
Some of the program activities are highlighted in the photo album below. To access photo captions, view the album in full screen mode.