Director of Finance - Position Description
This is a hands-on position that supports national and international projects that improve the lives of people with disabilities around the world.
Qualified candidates will bring excellent skills, knowledge and experience in all full-cycle accounting functions, including budget management and development and implementation of internal controls, ensuring compliance with government regulations, and financial analysis and forecasting for budgeting and strategic planning. Candidates will bring excellent communication skills to work with the Executive Team, Program Managers and the Board of Directors, and excitement to be part of an organization promoting disability rights.
MIUSA encourages people with disabilities, people from diverse backgrounds, and others to apply.
Accounting and Finance
- Manage and conduct all accounting functions, including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Payroll.
- Implement cash management, including federal fund draws, contract payments, cash balances and transfers as necessary.
- Prepare and file financial reports for grantors, regulatory agencies and the IRS.
- Manage annual audit process and preparation of year end package and ensure timely completion of the audit and 990.
- Manage Cash Flow including providing timely cash flow forecasts to the CEO.
- Develop, implement and monitor accounting policies and procedures
- Manage and work closely with outside consultants who support the financial and accounting functions (Fastfund and Accounting Firms).
- Develop and monitor monthly budgets and forecasts by cost center and project.
- Support Program Managers in preparing proposal and program budgets.
- Prepare and interpret financial reports for program managers.
- Support managers to administer, manage and monitor program budgets.
- Work with CEO to prepare and present annual organizational budget for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Monitor and review staffing patterns and forecasting for effective budgeting.
- Forecast, manage and allocate budget funds to ensure that all organizational administrative expenses are fully and appropriately covered.
- Manage donations and donor relationships, including online donations, and fundraising transactions.
- Responsible for supervising another staff member.
- Accept any other managerial, administrative or organizational duties, as assigned.
Leadership and Compliance
- Participate as part of MIUSA’s senior leadership and administrative teams, including participation in organization-wide activities, strategic planning, and achievement of programmatic goals.
- Work with Executive Leadership team to design, implement, manage and maintain internal controls and record-keeping in accordance with the organization’s procedures.
- Prepare, review, and present reports to Board of Directors and Executive Leadership team, including monthly Financial Statements that are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Provide guidance to Executive Team and Managers on 2 CFR 200 to ensure compliance.
- Manage and oversee the organization’s internal procurement processes and contracts to ensure compliance and consistency; review all contracts in collaboration with the CEO and Program Managers.
- Keep apprised of local, state, and federal regulatory financial and budget requirements to understand the potential impact on the organization.
- Ensure appropriate insurance coverage is maintained. Work and maintain relationships with outside insurance brokers.
- Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations to provide most competitive and rewarding packages for MIUSA employees.
- Work with the finance committee of the Board of Directors (BOD) and attend monthly board meetings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in all accounting functions and activities.
- Knowledge of GAAP and 2 CFR 200 Uniform Guidance.
- Knowledge of state and federal grant compliance required (Uniform Guidance Procurement Policies & Procedures – 2 CFR 200, Fly America, SDN and other federal requirements).
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office and excellent Excel skills including but not limited to pivot tables and other advanced formula functions.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; ability to communicate confidential and sensitive information directly, clearly and professionally
- Ability to accept critical feedback and incorporate feedback into the work
- Ability to work well in a collaborative environment, while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to manage with vision and purpose: connect work and the work of teams as they lead to the organization’s mission vision and values.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, MBA or CPA preferred
- 5 years of experience with full-cycle accounting, financial planning and analysis, budgets, forecasts, strategic analysis, grants, and contracts.
- Previous experience working in a non-profit organization preferred
Salary and Benefits
MIUSA offers an annual salary commensurate with experience between USD$70,000 - $85,000, as well as an excellent benefit package for regular staff including full medical, long-term disability, retirement, wellness, professional development opportunities and a public transportation pass.
Candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to:
- Lydia Shula, Senior Manager, lshula [at] miusa.org
- Subject line: DIRECTOR of FINANCE – Last Name
Equal Opportunity Employer. People with disabilities, those from diverse background and others encouraged to apply. All offers of employment at MIUSA are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.