What’s the deal with funded programs?
Usually, these are academic or professional programs that pay for some or all of your expenses. Sometimes, they are also called fellowships. In addition to tuition or host site placement fees, some funded programs cover expenses such as airfare, visa fees, transportation, housing, or health insurance.
Why should I apply for a funded program?
The question is more like, “Why not?” Funded programs give participants a chance to experience academic and professional development in a totally unique and diverse environment. And, because the funds are partially or completely paid for, you can focus your energy on getting maximum impact out of your international exchange experience. Don’t forget that many funded programs include diversity initiatives that require the inclusion of exchange participants of all backgrounds and experiences, including disability.
Examples of Funded Programs for U.S. Citizens
U.S. Department of State Programs:
- YES Abroad (high school students)
- National Security Language Intiative for Youth, NSLI (high school students)
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange, CBYX (high school students)
- Critical Language Scholarship (college students)
- Gilman Scholarship (undergraduate students)
- Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program (recent college graduates and young professionals)
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program (college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists)
- Fulbright Specialist and Scholar Programs (scholars and professionals)
- Fulbright-Hays (teachers and administrators and faculty)
- American Music Abroad (musicians)
- Boren Awards (college students)
- William J. Clinton Fellowship for Service in India (recent college graduates and young professionals)
- Humanity in Action Fellowship
- Diplomacy and Diversity Fellowship
- IOU Respect International Exchange Program (individuals 18 – 23 years old)
- Rotary World Peace Fellowships (graduate students and professionals)
- Thomas J. Watson Fellowship (recent college graduates)
- Cultural Vistas Fellowships (college students)
- American Fellow Program/Partners of the Americas
- Schwartzman Scholarships for China
- Rhodes Scholarships for the UK
See the Related Links to check out these programs.