"I Got In! Now What?": Preparing for Study in the U.S.

A group of young Americans and exchange students with and without disabilities talk while walking through a college campus.
It's official: You are on your way to study in the U.S. Now take the next steps.

Have you been accepted into a U.S. study program? Congratulations! Now is the time to notify the school's disability office about your disability-related needs, search for financial aid, and learn about visa rules and regulations.

Requesting Accommodations

As soon as you are accepted into your program, you should notify your host school's disability office if you think you will need disability-related accommodations when you arrive. Start early, because you may be required to provide documentation, or proof, of your disability, such as a medical form or letter from a doctor. See Disability Documentation When Studying in the U.S.


International students must show that they can financially support themselves for the first year of school. This means that you must show ahead of time that you (or your family) have the financial resources to pay for tuition at private schools or universities, books, fees, food, housing, and other incidentals. Public high schools in the U.S. are free. If you have a scholarship or sponsorship for your studies, this can count toward proof that you can pay for your student expenses. Visit our Find Exchange Funding pages for ideas on where to find scholarships and other financial aid.


You will need a visa in order to study in the United States. Usually, the school or exchange program that accepted you will provide instructions for applying for a visa, but they may not be familiar with questions about how having a disability can affect the visa process or rules. Find out about Visa Considerations for Exchange Participants with Disabilities.