The National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange (NCDE) is an ongoing project to increase the participation of people with disabilities in all types of International education opportunities through our informational resources. We are offering a paid opportunity for participants or alumni of both inbound and outbound international exchange programs to spearhead their very own community outreach activity.
Lead a one-day symposium on studying abroad. Publish an accessibility guide to your favorite country. Chronicle your international experience in a blog. It’s your show. How will you make your mark?
The NCDE will work virtually with the selected externs to build on their activity for the most effective outreach.
- You have participated (or are currently participating) in an international exchange program, which can be either:
- An Outbound Program (U.S. to Another Country) or
- An Inbound Program (Another Country to the U.S.)
- You are interested in teaching people with disabilities about participating in an exchange or educating program providers on how to include participants with disabilities.
- You have personal/professional experience with disability and international exchange.
- Receive an honorarium upon successful completion of your project.
- Explore a potential interest in an international education career
- Develop techniques for productive remote working
- Learn cross-disability strategies to create inclusive projects
Need some ideas to get started?
Examples of activities include, but are not limited to:
- Organizing a virtual panel of disabled international exchange alumni to speak about studying or volunteering abroad to their peers.
- Recording a video explaining how disabled people can experience a country with limited accessibility and sharing testimonials.
- Presenting a webinar or virtual meeting to students with disabilities about the benefits of studying or working abroad.
- Writing a short resource guide sharing about accessibility in a specific country and featuring key resources that would help those trying to plan for access while taking a course or doing a project in that country.
- [Insert YOUR great idea here!]
For more project examples visit our Access to Exchange Externship Alumni Highlights page.