The next Gender, Disability and Development Institute (GDDI) will bring together senior-level development professionals with disabled women leaders from China, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka, all delegates of MIUSA’s first Regional WILD-Asia program. Join us for this unique opportunity to engage in direct dialogue about strategies for including women with disabilities in development projects throughout the region.
“Inclusion and accessibility will now be a part of the organizational conversation at many levels. GDDI gave me the knowledge and connections to lobby my organization’s leadership to focus on inclusion.” – participant from Women’s Campaign International
Participants of GDDI are:
- international development leaders in decision-making roles who have the ability to make lasting change in their sphere of influence;
- working in a variety of countries and development issues, including but not limited to civil society, youth, education, economic development, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, emergency response, and gender-based violence prevention;
- passionate about reaching underserved populations; and
- eager to build their capacity to reach women and girls with disabilities in developing countries, who are among the most marginalized.
Convening on May 28, 2018, the Institute includes a full day of workshops with a special evening reception event featuring MIUSA’s Brilliant & Resilient photo exhibition. Through a variety of inclusive development workshops, topical break-out sessions, and networking activities, participants engage with 16 disabled women leaders who represent disabled people’s organizations (DPOs), NGOs, or government agencies in their countries. In addition, we have also been able to connect GDDI participants with our other 220+ alumni from over 80 countries.
The one-day Institute will take place at an oceanside hotel in the heart of Colombo, Sri Lanka. Participants are responsible for arranging their own travel and accommodation in Colombo. Buffet lunch, coffee/tea and refreshments will be provided throughout. This event is wheelchair accessible and sign language interpreted.
9:00 – 11:00am Welcome, Opening Remarks & Introductions
11:00am – 1:00pm Plenary session
1:00 – 2:00pm Networking lunch
2:00 – 3:00pm Topical breakout sessions
3:00 – 4:00pm Closing plenary
4:00 – 4:30pm Action planning session
4:30pm – 6:30pm Brilliant & Resilient: Celebrating the Power of Disabled Women Activists Photo Exhibition
Please register early, as space is limited!
- Deadline for $150 regular rate: May 15, 2018
This Institute is by invitation only. If you have received an invitation from MIUSA, please register online or use the form below.
For questions, contact Suz Dunn at sdunn(at)miusa.org or (541) 343-1284 ext. 17.
Show your organization’s commitment to equity and inclusion. Contact us for more information about becoming a GDDI sponsor.