We want your help to spread the message to more people with disabilities about access to all types of international exchange programs, such as studying and volunteering abroad! The "externships" is a project to be conducted virtually. All you have to do is share your interest for inclusion with the NCDE by submitting your proposal and if your idea is chosen, you conduct the activity and will get a $500 honorarium.
The NCDE will work with the five selected externs to build on to your activity for the most effective outreach. You will be part of group trainings and also learn from your peers.
The goal of the virtual outreach activity is to educate more people with disabilities about access to international exchange and the benefits of participating!
Examples of activities include (but are not limited to):
- Organizing a virtual panel of disabled international exchange alumni to speak about studying or volunteering abroad to their peers.
- A video explaining how disabled people can experience a country with limited accessibility and sharing testimonials.
- Presenting a webinar/virtual meeting to students with disabilities about the benefits of studying or working abroad.
- Writing a short resource guide sharing about accessibility in a specific country and featuring key resources that would help those trying to plan for access while taking a course or doing a project in that country.
- Presenting a webinar/virtual meeting to professionals in the disability or exchange fields about supporting disabled people in overseas programs.
Requirements to Qualify for the Externships:
- You are interested in educating people with disabilities and higher education professionals about how to study or volunteer abroad with disabilities.
- You have personal/professional experience with disability and international exchange.
- You reside in the geographical United States
- Possess valid authorization to receive an honorarium payment in the United States. See more: https://test-miusa.pantheonsite.io/news/2020/externship
- Submit an application online orclearinghouse [at] miusa.org (subject: Externship%20Question) ( contact us )if you need the application in an alternative format
- Application deadline: May 15, 2020
People with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds encouraged to apply.
For any questions regarding the externship, please contact the clearinghouse [at] miusa.org (subject: Externship%20Question) (NCDE)